[aprssig] SSID convention

Peter Laws N5UWY n5uwy at arrl.net
Sun Dec 25 22:35:13 EST 2016

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO using the SSID as a station identifier is a totally obsolete concept.  I
> ignore it and look at the icon, or the characters representing it in the raw
> packet.

Icons and SSIDs are not the same.  I just want to follow the
convention for SSIDs.  My HT's Icon is already set for the little
running man (there didn't appear to be a walking man, which would have
been more accurate).

I'm especially curious regarding the D-STAR stuff.  Since my ID-51A+
will send position reports via DPRS into the larger APRS
infrastructure, do I use -5 ("Other networks (Dstar, Iphones,
Androids, Blackberry's etc)") or "-A through -Z for Dstar" since my
position reports aren't, in fact, going into the system via AX.25?