[aprssig] 9600 Baud East Coast Backbone (220 stub filter?)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Aug 18 16:52:12 EDT 2016

Agree, the radio cannot go in naked.  My question was more along the lines
of how much filtering is needed since the 150-170 MHz bands and 450-470 MHz
bands are quite far from 220.

I just did a quick 1/4 wave coax stub that notches 153 and 460 MHz with 30
dB notches and has only 2 dB insertion loss at 220.  I'm thinking that with
a multistub approach, it might be possible to get quite a bit of filtering
and lower insertion loss with just some coax stubs. The coax I used was the
worst, RG-174 simply because it was there.  Im wondering what I can get with
higher quality coax.  The length of the open stub was about 12.6"

So my question was more along the lines of how much out-of-band isolation is
needed and then see what kind of filter we can use.  And I am talking about
having the HT inside an RF box along with all the filters.. just to see what
is possible.

I think I'll order a pair of radios to do some testing.
Bob, WB4aPR