[aprssig] 9600 Baud East Coast Backbone

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 17 23:34:20 EDT 2016

We are dreaming of a 9600 baud East coasst packet backbone along the route
of the APRS Golden Packet event.  http://aprs.org/ec9600net.html

I wonder if the 5W 220 MHz HT featured in QST this month would make a
possible radio.  Many of these sites are high and adjacent to plenty of VHF
and UHF commercial rigs.

Does that mean the 220 MHz is relatively free of front end overload at most
commercial sites?
Could just a simple 1/4 wave coax stub bring the RF levels down to workable
levels?

The radios are 5W and show 0.16uv sensitivity for $85.  Moving the backbone
to 220 coiuld then allow either 2m or UHF for local user access to the
backbone.  I had wanted 50W rigs for the 10 dB margin, but maybe 5W will do
some of the links.

I have zero experience with 220, so I thought I would ask here.

What is the channel we can use on 220 band for 9600 baud packet?

Bob, WB4APR