[aprssig] Interesting Findings - 300 Baud AX.25 on VHF-FM APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Apr 2 09:37:35 EDT 2016

Great testing!  Very good discussion.

You are correct to be concerned about the length of the packet.  Mobile
flutter is a typical 20 to 30 dB phenomena.  When the signal has 30 dB or
more of margin, there is no problem.  But when one starts getting down
lower, then mobile flutter will still take 20 dB or so off the stationary
performance.  Generally people notice that an FM voice qso range of a
repeater is DOUBLE the range of the same site to an APRS Mobile.

> Using a minimal packet with just position, a WIDE1-1 path,
> and TXD set to 250 mS, the 1200-baud packets took
> around 2 seconds while the 300 baud ones took 2.5-3 seconds.

So, I am confused by this.  My experience is that a 1200 baud APRS packet
is more like 0.5 to 1 second.  I cannot see how it can be 2 seconds long.
That is 240 bytes.  Taking off the 30 byte TXD delay leaves over 200 bytes.
A nominal APRS packet with 1 hop is only 51 and a Mic-E comes in half that.

I do agree, that with the shorter packets, the long TXD is what swamps the
time, so for comparing a 1200 baud and 300 baud Mic-E, I would expect the
actual air time to be about a 2 to 1 difference and not the 4to1 due to
baud rates.

I also wonder if pre-and de-emphasis would improve the performance of the
higher tones in the 1200 baud packet and possibly bring the performance
back to about the same.  In fact, since pre/de-emphasis affects the signal
by over 6 dB, maybe, by not doing it, is where you are losing the 4 dB in
measured performance?

On the other hand.... maybe at 300 baud, the bit is long enough to survive
a phase changing "pop" whereas a 1200 baud bit is about the same width as a
phase "pop" and so always gets hit?

Very interesting things to consider.  Maybe a final comparison while mobile
will eventually answer it.

Bob, WB4APR