[aprssig] OT:: Jeep and Radio

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:29:26 EDT 2015

Watch out for those PL259 feedthroughs. The threads are very fine and the nuts don't spread out very far. I tried this with a mirror-arm mount bracket on my motor home, and it didn't take very many whacks of the antenna against low-hanging tree branches to totally strip the threads on the nuts and barrel connector. Worse yet, I was using an NMO-to-SO239 barrel, which is more expensive than a plain SO239-to-SO239 barrel (though the NMO base was bigger than the nut on the other side). Wish they made the barrels with bigger threads and wider nuts that wouldn't torque off so easily.
Andrew, KA2DDO also known as "Mooserider"