[aprssig] Solar House Symbol & Solar ecstasy!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 9 08:43:30 EDT 2015

> Where did you get solar for 70 cents per watt?
> Does that include inverters??

Best solar Deals that always come up for me are from SUNELEC.com in Miami.
They even have panels as low as 34 cents/Watt without frames but I don’t
have room for them yet.  Have to build a floating platform party deck
(boat) first.  Then they go on the roof.  The panels power the house 99.9%
of the time, but wll provide 3 kW of power for the electric motors when
underway.

String Inverters seem to cost about 50 cents a watt.  That’s why I try to
set up a pair of orthogonal solar arrays to share each inverter.  That
gives me rated power from the inverter but twice as long every day but
without twice the inverter cost.

Oh, be sure to only get UL approved panels, else, you will not pass
electrical inspection for grid tie.  SunElec tells you if they have UL
approval or not.  Also, some are not for US import.

Bob

On 9/8/2015 4:00 PM, Robert Bruninga via aprssig wrote:

> …I recently purchased an 07 Prius...

> Where did you find the "form fitting" solar cells for yours?

I composed the car roof rom 18 smaller 12W panels (back in 2007).  But, it
makes no sense now.  Those small panels still cost about $10/W whereas 300W
panels for my house roof now cost less than $0.70/w and I have 100 times
more area than the roof of the car.  So the value on the car is only 0.001
times the value on the roof of the house.

Besides the typical car spends 21 hours or more a day parked mostly at home
or work.  So just plugging into a 120v outlet while parked can maintain
more than 80 miles a day.  Since my typical daily use is only 30 miles I
have zero “range anxiety” and never have to go anywhere to charge other
than at home, at night.  See:

http://aprs.org/EV-misinformation.html

Bob