[aprssig] What is the process add to the APRS symbol document ?

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 23:05:49 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Mike Lussier via aprssig
<aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
> Digital Repeaters:
> DS    =     DStar
> DD    =     Digital DMR
> DY    =     Diigital Yaesu Fusion C4FM/FM
> DP    =     P25   P25/FM
> DM   =     Mixed Mode

I broadcast some objects for nv2 repeaters (a TDMA data mode based on
802.11). I use the APRS frequency spec to advertise their frequency,
but the only way to indicate the mode is in the comment. I don't think
a symbol is necessarily the right solution for this, but I guess it
would be better than nothing.

It's too bad the frequency spec does not address this. The closest it
has to defining a mode is a wide/narrow bit. As far as I can tell,
wide and narrow aren't even defined anywhere. By context, I'm going to
guess that wide means FM with 5 KHz deviation and narrow means FM with
2.5 KHz deviation. How would one define a SSB frequency? CW? Dstar?
nv2? It would be really cool to use the frequency spec to allow
one-touch tuning of a resource advertised by APRS, but without a mode
definition, there will always need to be some human intervention to
choose (guess) the mode.

Tom KD7LXL