[aprssig] Something like openaprs.net

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Sep 3 16:41:29 EDT 2015

Robert German via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> writes:

> It looks like the openaprs servers are on autopilot and no longer working.
> My question is: does anyone knoe of a similar service that allows a "member"
> to insertobjects/icons at locations and then have them displayed od APRS
> maps. We have 2 dozen of our repeaters on the APRS maps by using openaprs
> amd since openaprs does not seem reliabe anymore I would like to "host" our
> icons somewhere else.

There are some repeaters near me (FN42) that appear on APRS-IS but
don't seem to appear actually on the air.   While ARPS-IS seems very
useful, it seems the main focus should be having the beacons actually on
the air, both for local RF receivers and for survivability.   I am
curious what the prevalance is for repeater objects in terms of being
originated on-air vs synthetic in APRS-IS.

73 de n1dam