[aprssig] unusual Terrestrial APRS propagation

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 10:14:24 EDT 2015

Yep, I was cycling through the list on my rig itself, taking note of the
stations it had recorded.  That's where I noted alot of traffic from
nearby N0HOY-10, which I then looked up on aprs.fi.

It's not documented well in the D710 manuals, but I browsed through
heard stations, then delved into greater info for PATH and noted a FIRST
and LAST for each of them.  Some were just "local".  I see there's a
PacketCluster DX also, and will read more into that functionality.

While the rig itself will let me determine my own propagation
conditions, it would be interesting to see a nationwide map.

I know very little about the mechanics of tropo ducting, but as I
understand it, it can occur when there's a temperature inversion with
lower altitudes cooler than higher.  We did go through a week or two of
unseasonably cold weather recently, but summer has returned.

73, KD0KZE / Paul