[aprssig] APRStt and SAR... Revised proposal (a)

Bob Harris knineudx at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:22:56 EDT 2015

Let me see if I might still have some paper logs so I can answer your
question more accurately (my memory can be faulty at times -- especially
details that are two years old) but here goes from memory

By voice, xxxxEast yyyyNorth (enunciating the "east" and "north"). The
search area was typically within a mile or two radius of the command
center. Usually a maximum of 6 or 8 man/dog teams would be fielded for a
search. If the first day search was unsuccessful, the follow-up searches
would use either a different center or a larger radius, depending upon
the nature of the situation and the terrain (and desires of NH F&G).

On 5/18/2015 3:29 PM, Robert Bruninga via aprssig wrote:

> We need to understand what we mean by “digits”... 5 or 6 digits
> relative to what?  The LSB of a grid is 1 meter, and I doubt you mean
> that teams were reporting each meter of movement by voice?  I thought
> a “3 digit” report was to the nearest 100 yards just generally
> reporting the team’s position (dropping the two LSB digits.) or was it
> dropping one LSB and reporting to the nearest 10m?
>
> I don’t want to approach SAR groups directly until we have an idea,
> and was hoping there were some people on APRSSIG that were heavily
> into SAR and could help nail down the concepts of general usage first.
>
> Bob

Bob Harris (K9UDX)