[aprssig] ***SPAM*** Re: * Oh No!! Fake Prolific 2303 USB<-->Serial Chip Fiasco Now Spreading To FTDI

KF4LVZ aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net
Sat Mar 28 01:07:34 EDT 2015

It is indeed going to be a most interesting experiment in case law.  No
idea what lawsuits might show up but the chain of parties does make
things exceedingly complicated.  I'm sure it would take years to make it
through the court system.

I'm basing my "most" on the consumer items that I've taken apart and
find these chips.  In the 100k+ quantities used for major consumer
electronics the FTDI and Prolific chips are no more than a few cents
each.  The cost differential between dropping a chip in the device
versus the labor involved in implementing a USB stack from scratch on
the controller of choice is mostly a wash or leans in favor of the USB
chip.  The labor is better spent working on the functions needed for the
device itself rather than the communication protocol.  There's a few
exceptions of course for things that have good on-board processors (e.g.
tiny media players) where the ability to have loadable libraries in the
development environment eliminates most of the labor or for items that
need to communicate with other USB devices (e.g. televisions that have
USB ports for memory sticks).  As for the lab equipment you're right,
cost is no object there.  Just slap in a chip and worry about the rest
of the device.  The same thing happens to ethernet enabled lab
equipment.  There's usually some single-chip system that handles all the
TCP/IP and spits out a serial stream.  I have a few power supplies and
temperature controllers that are this way.