[aprssig] Cool new sensor

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Mar 24 23:39:56 EDT 2015

On Mar 24, 2015, at 11:07 PM, Scott Miller <scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> If it's a multi-axis magnetometer, that would probably be a better way to measure wind speed than the accelerometer.

If it were on a rotating anemometer, the magnetometer would give you a rotation rate by comparing multiple readings to get a rate of change, but the accelerometer could give you direct readings of centrifugal force, as would the gyroscope, so those would get my vote.

And yes, the magnetometer, accelerometer, and gyroscope are all three-axis.

> I've been meaning to try 3D printing a clip-on cup anemometer holder for my phone.  The anemometers I've got have magnets to trip reed switches and could probably be picked up pretty easily by the phone's magnetometer.

Interesting idea! I'd guess it would matter where the magnetometer was in the phone. Of course, I have a $10 handheld that gives me the same data and is probably the same size to carry. Maybe in a pop-up case?

Steve