[aprssig] PSAT Satgates (and outlandish EV idea?)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jun 30 23:32:51 EDT 2015

A satgate has to be hooked to the internet most of the time to be of any
value.

I wrote up the idea once that a car, each time it is parked at home, could
be plugged into an umbilical that powers the radio and has a serial port
into the home station and internet for APRS uses, but I doubt anyone,
including me, would go to the trouble of plugging it in every night and
setting the right radio channel.

Of course, those with electric cars are used to plugging in a connector to
their car every night, so if we could get the APRS umbilibical somehow
included in the Charging plug, we’d have it!  There is one usually-not-used
pin in the typical charging plug, plus ground.  So if we could do it all on
one wire and ground, we’d have something to work with. <wink>

But I am getting off track.

But that track is an idea….  When everyone owns an electic car, and plugs
it in whenever it is parked, what use could we make of an extra pin across
the interface to connect our car with our shack?

Bob, WB4APR