[aprssig] ARISS igated location anomaly/discrepancy

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 23:01:25 EDT 2015

On 6/30/2015 9:22 PM, Paul Bramscher via aprssig wrote:
   I hit BCON once more, out of curiosity on this pass, and
> WA8LMF digipeated me correctly.  WA8LMF has a reliable setup, and is one
> of our better bets for being heard from our QTH in the St.
> Paul/Minneapolis area.  Here you can see how WA8LMF passed a "<0x1c>"
> character (if e-mail doesn't mess this up), whereas W0JW did not:

It's a standard UIview igate/digipeater/webserver setup running in a Windows
micro-2003 virtual machine on my Acer 756 netbook. TNC is the UZ7HO Soundmodem
soundcard soft TNC linked to UIview with the AGWpe-style TCP/IP interface. The
Soundmodem is using a Behringer UCA-202 external USB semi-pro sound card. The
UCA-202 is a superb performer for all sound card apps due to it's extremely low
distortion, greater than 90 dB S/N and flat response from 1 Hz to 20KHz  +/-
0.5 dB .    Review here:
    <http://WA8LMF.net/ham/uca202.htm>

The RF part is using a Kenwood TM-221 monoband mobile and an Icom AH-7000
discone antenna.  I thought the no-gain discone would have a very fat vertical
radiation angle, but it doesn't work as well as I expected.   After Bob's
report on the 3/4-wave vertical, I think I am going to try that instead, once I
come up with a feasable approach to the large-area ground plane under the whip.
  (The discone is currently about 10' off the roof on a 7' mast in a TV
tripod.)  I'm thinking a 6-10-foot square piece of hardware cloth spread out on
the roof.

Details on the UIview setup are here on my website:
    <http://WA8LMF.net/map>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF