[aprssig] APRS Satgate Antenna page (dB's)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 26 16:13:03 EDT 2015

OK, I did a quick look and the gain of the 3/4 wave vertical is a real
winner over the basic 1/4 wave vertical for OMNI Satgates with no moving
parts optimized for high elevation gain above 30 deg.  Low elevations are
simply covered by another SATgate 600 miles away....

We will write it up in detail, but here are the rough figures.

1/4 wave vertical with radials:  -2 at 30 and -6 at 60  ==>  Basically a
dipole pattern

3/4 wave vertical with radials:  +2 at 30 and -1 at 60  ==>  4 to 5 dB
better, 2 dBi max
3/4 wave vertical w 6' gndpln:  +2 at 30 and +3 at 70 ==>  4 to 9 dB better,
5.5 dBi max
3/4 wave vertical w 9' gndpln: +3 at 30 and +3 at 65 ==>  5 to 9 dB better,
5.3 dBi max
3/4 wave vertical perfect gnd: +3 at 30 and +3 at 68 ==>  5 to 9 dB better,
6.9 dBi max

We are going to do a 3' ground plane too for comparison, but even the 3/4
vertical with just the four 19" radials gives a huge 4 to 5 dB improvement
over a classic ground plane for omni satellite  SATgate work.

Notice too that the Lilenblatt, eggbeaters, and all other "omni"s that try
to keep their gain down on the horizon, are equally as poor as the 1/4 wave
vertical at these higher elevations.  This is OK for strong satellits like
the ISS with 5 to 10 watts, but abisimal when all that gain on the horizon
is completely wasted when you cannot hear the satellite anyway because it is
6 to 10 dB farther away! The result is these "omni's" give up the 4 to 9 dB
at higher elevations where the satellite is much stronger.

Ill eventually put all this on the Omni SATGATE page:
http://aprs.org/aprs-satellite-igate-antennas.html

9 dB better when they are closer and  does this by giving  up on hearing
them when they are so far away you can't hear them anyway!

Bob