[aprssig] Correct PSAT & igating

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Thu Jun 11 10:38:10 EDT 2015

I was thinking mainly of two scenarios in which a comprehensive
(non-deduped) view of igated packets would be useful.  (I do this as an
unpaid hobby, novelty and personal challenge are common to most any
hobby, otherwise it's like a mundane dayjob -- but without the pay.)

1. Terrestrial + non-digipeated.  Like pskreporter.info, wsprnet.org,
etc. for band conditions.  I know APRS-IS wasn't designed for this, but
other digital modes/software increasingly allow for automatic spot
reporting.  Maybe we simply need a "aprsreporter.info" equivalent.  A
central bucket that igates could dump a secondary copy of all RX'd
packets into, hooked up to an openstreetmap.org or google map interface
with a simple XML/REST type API.  Good ones sort of exist (aprs.fi), but
with the deduped aspect.

While band conditions are of more interest to HF, and probably
researchers/engineers/etc., looking at who can receive your local 2m
packets has more selfish (and therefore more personally useful)
purposes: you can verify that your equipment is setup optimally, you
have good antenna placement, you can see how little power you can get
away with, how local geography/topography affects your reach, and
possible emcomm uses -- to verify that you can hit a certain APRS
ipgate, in a certain location, with a certain antenna and power level.

2. Primarily non-terrestrial + digipeated.  Unless we're working EME,
meteor scatter, etc. working over a satellite or high altitude balloon
offers the greatest line-of-sight 2m FM work and challenge for most of
us.  Bob mentioned doing a multi-hop satellite-to-satellite path here
(http://www.aprs.org/pcsat.html).  And if the number of APRS-equipped
cubesats and/or Google's Loon ever take off (literally speaking), there
would be all sorts of interesting APRS work possible -- and it would be
useful to see how many ground stations simultaneously RX the same
packets.  Both as a test of the satellite, as well as personal/selfish
reasons: I'd expect ARRL + AMSAT to expand the awards available for
satellite work as more opportunities open up.

I know alot of people have time/effort invested into the current
arrangement, and that (I work IT professionally myself) some kinds of
architectural changes are too fundamental if approached head-on.    It
needn't inject anything into the current system, and offer no IS->RF
capability.  So I was mainly thinking of an add-on service (i.e. like an
aprs spotting site).

Or perhaps even an aprs-is 2.0.  Ideally, a topology that would
accommodate the kinds of suggestions I've seen in the aprsisce group
also -- for example, a real-time lightning map.

73, KD0KZE / Paul