[aprssig] PSAT & igating and Optimum antenna

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:46:06 EDT 2015

It's actually part of an algorithm running on the IS servers that helps
facilitate transmit Igating.  In the event that your IGate is beaconing
only on RF, the way that other IGates in your area "know" that your station
is connected to the Internet is via those beacons that look like they are
sent directly to the IS.  Without those "fake" beacons, a nearby IGate
would gate a message addressed to your station from IS to RF when it really
didn't need to.  So in a nutshell, it's part of a "little scheme" to
prevent gating packets from IS to RF when it's not necessary.

I think in the case of your test below, the IS server didn't know the
difference between a packet generated by your mobile vs. one generated by
your IGate due to using the same SSID.

I'm just the messenger on this one.  :-)

Lee - K5DAT