[aprssig] APRS-IS Database :: Query for static dataset

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 10:39:12 EDT 2015

On 7/20/2015 9:29 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) via aprssig wrote:
> On 7/19/2015 4:11 PM, Steve Dimse via aprssig wrote:
>> Another correction to some of the other responses. Most hubs do keep more
>> than this 30 second list for a number of uses. For example many answer on
>> 10153/20153 with a 30 minute dump of activity followed by live data. This
>> dates from the beginning when APRServ was written primarily to serve javAPRS
>> pages, but many found it useful for client programs too. With this feature
>> one could immediately see all recent activity instead of waiting for each
>> station to beacon and the map to slowly fill.
>
> IIRC, this "history" port doesn't support filtering?  Or am I worng (sic) in
> this memory?

No, the history feeds didn't offer filtering.

The fixed history ports long pre-dated the JavAPRS user-definable port 14580.
  Most servers had several fixed ports. One would be a raw unfiltered feed of
the entire world.   (At the time these were in common use, the total world-wide
APRS traffic was a tiny fraction of what it is today!)

A second would be the world + (typically) 30 minutes of past history.  Then
most servers would also offer several additional ports with fixed filtered
regional feeds based on location (i.e. "midwest", "western US", "Chicago area"
or some such), either with or without the 30 minutes history.

Typically these were port numbers 10151, 10152, etc.  You would connect to them
without any filter arguments.   Many APRS servers today still support the
"firehose" ports if you want to torture-test your client with a non-stop
100-200K/sec flood of data.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF