[aprssig] System Fusion versus D-STAR, & APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 9 10:02:18 EST 2015

> Digital radios, regardless of flavor,
>  have more features that don’t translate to analog
> such as embedded callsign in the data stream,
> clear voice or data.

But analog can have ALL of those too (most of the time).

1) Every APRS radio can embed its callsign (and location, called party, etc)
in a 100ms tone burst at the end of every PTT
2) Every APRS radio can send data
3) Every analog radio that is close to a repeater with good signal strength
can have clear voice.

What I have been wanting since 2000 is an "ASTAR" gateway and now a
"AFUSION" gateway.  These are simply a conventional ANALOG repeater on one
side which gets its callsign, position and connection request data from
APRS, and on the other side looks like a DSTAR or FUSION node.  Done.  The
analog side also delivers all network information to the fronmt panel
display showing who is talking, where, how far away, etc...

All the functions are there.  We just need someone with the tools to write
the gateway.  To see how it works, see http://aprs.org/avrs.html

Bob, WB4aPR