[aprssig] Finding Indoor/outdoor digital themrmoeters - NOT

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Feb 17 11:04:56 EST 2015

On Feb 17, 2015, at 10:45 AM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Did you consider some of the Arduino-type sensors available? Not the cheapest device, but MicroCenter sells a temperature/humidity sensor that hooks up over I2C. RadioShack has a cheaper analog device (NTE7225). Of course, then you need something to receive, interpret, and display the resulting temperature report signal. Depends on how much work you want to do.

I'd recommend using a Raspberry Pi rather than an arduino for this task. It costs a bit more, but it gives you access to a much more extensive feature set. The Pi can directly connect to one wire 18C20/18S20 sensors which are a buck each, you can put as many on the bus as you want, and using rrdtool have easy database and graphing tools, and use apache to serve graphs on your LAN or even the Internet.

I'm on the road after the Orlando Hamfest now so the sensor board is on my RV and not home, but my house web server still has the graphs from before I left

http://pi.findu.com/fridge.html

There is a temp sensor in the fridge and freezer, one on the board and two at different heights in the house, and a light sensor. You can see when the defrost cycle executes, when I opened the fridge and freezer doors, and daylight and artificial lights in the kitchen.

This is part of an extensive set of sensors and actuators I'm putting in my RV.

rrdtool is a very cool open source tool, it takes one line to create the database, one line to store each incoming value, and one line to do each graph. Anyone that needs to archive and display time series data needs to look at it.

Steve K4HG