[aprssig] Radio Shack demise - Lets take back 11 meters!

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Fri Feb 13 18:35:53 EST 2015

On 2/13/2015 4:25 PM, david vanhorn wrote:

> Is there any actual regulatory reason we can't just go there?  No
> license needed. Is there a prohibition that applies?

I find it interesting that folks in the U.S. think there are no rules
for the Citizens Band Radio Service. And, given the number of fines the
FCC has levied against equipment manufacturers, sellers, and radio
operators, you can't say the rules aren't being enforced, either.

I direct your attention to the Code of Federal Regulations Title 47 Part
95 Subpart D. Here's a summary:

95.404 says that you do not need a license and you are authorized by
rule to transmit using a CB station.

95.407(a) lists the channels (specific frequencies, no VFO) on which you
may operate.

95.408(c) describes the maximum height of your antenna.

95.409 says you must use an un-modified FCC certificated CB transmitter.
In other words, no amateur radio gear may be used.

95.410 says may transmit with no more than 4 watts carrier on AM or 12
watts PEP on SSB.

95.411 says you may not use a power amplifier.

95.412 describes what communications you may transmit. I don't see any
provisions for transmitting any kind of data.

95.413 places restrictions on one-way transmissions and says you cannot
communicate with another station more than 250 km away.

As has been said before, amateur radio operators have so many
opportunities given the bands that we can use, the power we can use, and
the modes we can use, I don't see any reason to consider CB. And, I'll
refer back to my first comment in this thread--just because RadioShack
is in bankruptcy doesn't mean CB is dead.

Bob...