[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 138, Issue 12

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:34:21 EST 2015

Have to say, that it is entirely possible to remove the "Updates" that
Windows Update installed, dating from back in April this (or was it
last?) year...    That, and a few others that back-port the W10
telemetry into W7 and 8.x    AND block further W10 downloads if you
don't want it.

It's all documented elsewhere if you look.

Personally, Win7 will be the last version I "Own", I will not be going
past 7.    To that end, I am voluntarily moving to Linux (currently
doing this in Thunderbird, on Mint 17.2   It's a nice OS)   However, the
move is not painless, as I've a lot to learn, to say the least...

I still have a few dedicated "special purpose" Win2000 machines working
here, not quick, but stable and mostly reliable (as far as the aged
hardware goes at least, hiding behind another NAT router.)

I will still have to use Windows at work for the foreseeable future at
least.   But, I've got some Linux boxes there too, for odd special
needs.   They "just work" as some say.

As to vulnerabilities...

ALL OS's have them, some more than others.   Linux (and derivatives) are
no exception, just that it is not as widely targeted (yet) by the "bad
people" of the Internet.   But, that will happen, give it time.

Updates?  Ha!   If you think Windows updates too frequently.   You ain't
seen nothing yet, until you use a currently supported version of Linux,
it updates something every other day or so...   Nothing wrong in that
though.

73.

Dave G0WBX.