[aprssig] D710G external Progrmming Volunter?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 14:16:28 EDT 2015

On 8/27/2015 9:18 AM, Robert Bruninga via aprssig wrote:
> We need someone who is familiar with external programming the D710G AND who has
> Microcontroller programming experience to make us a BLACK BOX “Radio
> Configurator”.  Just plug it into a D710G and it dumps everything to the radio,
> all PMS, TNC, everything.
>
> Apparently the serial data protocol between the normal programming software and
> the radio is “obvious” once you look at it.
>
> This is a high value project.  We have many months to get it together.
> RasberryPi  might work.  Others too, depending on the choice of the volunteer.
>
> Contact me direct. Bruninga at usna.edu <mailto:Bruninga at usna.edu>
>
> Bob

What's wrong with the standard off-the-shelf Kenwood Memory Config Pgm for the
D710 running on a cheap $60-$80 Windows 8 tablet?

See review of MicroCenter Winbook TW-700 tablet here on my website:

<http://WA8LMF.net/WinbookTablet>

I currently have over a dozen standard Windows ham apps including soundcard
programs running on this device including the programming utilities for the
D700 and TH-D72.

The so-called Kenwood "MCP" (Memory Control Programs) do far more than just
load the memories.  they can save and reload all the defaults and current
settings like TNC settings, current data band, the contents of the PMs and
which one is currently active, VFO or memory on at power-up, etc.

Additionally, I have UIview/Precision Mapping, APRSpoint/MapPoint, FLdigi
multimode soundcard pgm, mmSSTV, mmTTY, EasyPal digital SSTV, VOAprop, UZ7HO
Soundmodem soft TNC, Echolink, and the ARCP-2000 Control program for the
TS-2000 running on this device.  I.e. pretty much anything that will run on a
standard desktop PC will run on these sub-$100 devices.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF