[aprssig] is there a way to query a signal report from the digipeater?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 15:39:39 EDT 2015

On 8/24/2015 1:32 PM, Fernan Bolando via aprssig wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am not sure if this has been asked before. Going through the archives did not turn up anything.
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to query a digipeater to give me a signal report? I have been trying a few antenna configuration lately and was wondering if APRS can help me characterize my station performance.
>
> regards
> fernan VE4FEB

Not in a standard configuration of a digipeater, since the standard setup would
have only AUDIO connections between the radio and the TNC. The TNC would not be
privy to any signal strength indications present in the radio receiver.

That is not to say that possibly somewhere out there a digi operator hasn't
connected one of the analog telemetry inputs of a TinyTrack 4, KPC3 or Tracker
2 to the radio's RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) circuits.  This
would normally require hacking into the radio to pick up this signal, which is
the same one that drives the S-meter or bar graph on the radio's front panel.

Since the digi's transmit power is exactly the same, no matter who is being
digipeated through it, you should be able to compare your antennas' performance
on RECEIVE, by observing your OWN radio's S-meter or bargraph while while the
digipeater is transmitting.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF