[aprssig] Satgate

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:28:04 EDT 2015

And should have checked my spelling before hitting Send. I meant @ or /, not @ or . as timestamped position reports.

To: aprssig at tapr.org
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 07:49:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Satgate
From: aprssig at tapr.org

No, that's a valid format, according to the APRS protocol specification (chapter 8). Position reports starting with @ or . are specified to have a timestamp prefix prior to the latitude; position reports starting with ! or = do not have the timestamp. Now, whether a given gating package properly supports all four formats is another question (for example, DuchiSat1 is restricted to only use ! format with compressed encoding).

I've checked this recently, because I just recently updated my software (YAAC) to support all four formats instead of only the = format it formerly beaconed.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC