[aprssig] APRN (SSTV Picture filing)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Aug 9 23:30:41 EDT 2015

Just brainstorming here, but just as important as uplinking the pictures
will be the ease of filing and retrieving them.

And this identification of the picture content will be by laborous entery
on the radio APRS keypad.

So I think it would be nice to have kind of a pre-thought out filing tree
structure...

Never mind, we already have it all in the simple APRS Object format?  What
a great way to ID an image:
1) A 9 character object name
2) One of nearly 180 symbols (and thousands of overlay combinations)
3) the Location of the image
4) The direction of the camera
5) the general range of the image (6 feet closeup to 30+ mile horizon scene)

So to the first order, an image can be retrieved by name, and or by SYMBOL,
and/or by location.

I sure wish we could get Kenwood to bring back an HC1 like add-on to an
APRS HT that takes the picture and then builds the APRS object data to send
them both together!

Omygosh, we have everything we need to build our own modern VCH1.  We just
take Scott's SSTV camera, plug its audio into the Kenwood or Yaesu Mic
connector, take the picture, and send the APRS object.  Done..

FOr now, to send an object from the D72, we have to manualy change the
MYCALL to a 6 letter object name, send the "object" and remember to switch
the MYCALL back to our actual call after each photo.  But it is possible!

Sure would be neat if future radios included an easier way to make an
object.

Bob