[aprssig] Mobile Off-Air Display

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 9 20:53:18 EDT 2015

The best bet would be to get something like a Windows tablet or a cheap laptop/netbook, and then you could load APRSIS32 or YAAC on it, and connect it with an audio cable to the radio (using a software TNC like DireWolf). Not sure if anyone has verified AGWPE or DireWolf will work on a Windows tablet yet. Also not sure if the Windows tablets will support RS232 serial devices; if they do, a Kenwood radio (TM-D710 or TH-D72 in dual-band mode with the built-in TNC) could be connected directly to the tablet, and you'd have a better display than just the Kenwood control head. In this case, the Kenwood could also transmit the position beacon for the SAG wagon, too, eliminating the need for a second dedicated tracker on the SAG.

I hate to bad-mouth my own product, but the Pi's disk storage (on an SD card) is just too slow for map rendering in YAAC on a mobile station (it is up to barely tolerable on a Pi B 2). I've accelerated the rendering code in YAAC about as far as I can, and on a Pi the load is now mostly reading the disk files of mapping data, rather than the actual rendering. I need to conduct some experiments with USB memory sticks to see if they are any faster than SD cards on the Pi as a storage device for YAAC map data. And I've looked at those 7" LCD screens they have for the Pi; nice idea, but how do you scotch-tape and chewing-gum the Pi to one of those screens so it will hold together in the mobile environment?

Andrew, KA2DDO
author of YAAC ("Yet Another APRS Client")
http://www.ka2ddo.org/ka2ddo/YAAC.html