[aprssig] APRSDROID on Samsung Galaxy5 no AX25 Decode

Dallas Clements dallas.clements at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:26:28 EDT 2015

Steve,

I can confirm from use that APRSDroid will decode packets appropriately
through the audio input on Android devices as I've done it with a HTC Evo
and Samsung Galaxy S3. I've used both extensively over the last two years
for RF work.

Given the fact that you're having the same problem on more than one device,
the problem may be with your cable or your radio. I know you said your
audio levels are good based on the in app sound level meter, but have you
listened to what the phone is receiving to make sure the quality of the
sound is good (it may be loud enough but completely distorted or broken
beyond the software's ability to decode)? If you're using a HT indoors or
inside a car, that scenario is very likely.

Two options to test this. One, get an audio connector with two female ends
and plug some headphones to the audio cable that you're using for this
setup and just listen to the frequency for a while. Two, use an audio
recording app on your phone/tablet to capture some samples of what your
radio and cable are passing along. If the quality of the audio is bad, you
know you're on the right track and you can perform further testing to
isolate the problem to your radio or your audio cable.

Let me know how that goes and I'll help you troubleshoot further.

As a side note, if anyone is interested in doing something like what Steve
has done, I've put together some instructions for using APRSDroid as a
virtual TNC and APRS display/interface as well as a video for tying
APRSDroid to an external Bluetooth TNC like the one from Mobilinkd. Steve,
if you ultimately hit a wall on this audio cable project, you might want to
give the Mobilinkd a look.

Hardwired Cell article - http://www.wcares.org/?page_id=2677
APRSDroid and Mobilinkd TNC video - https://youtu.be/eMMe63si2aY

Dallas