[aprssig] Recommended Behavior for Read-Only APRS-IS Clients?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Mon Apr 20 11:16:47 EDT 2015

My statement was accurate regarding the keep-alives described at aprs-is.net.  The keep-alives you describe were non-existent when I created javAPRSSrvr because of the continuous traffic on APRS-IS that was in place at the time.  While you may have implemented keep-alives earlier, they became necessary again after the introduction of reduced feeds to ensure clients would not disconnect.  And it was stated to me at the time that clients had those timers to ensure the server software had not just quit processing which was also common place at the time I created javAPRSSrvr.

Good to know that you also had keep-alives in prior years when activity was low to support keeping clients from disconnecting.  Again, the point was that this was client driven, not driven by server needs.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net