[aprssig] Digital two-way Radio communication in emergency situations

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Sep 8 12:07:56 EDT 2014

The 1/4 second time slot at 9600 baud ought to be big enough for any
reasonable APRS packet.  I was sending two small position packets in
that time.

A new network ought to allow only users with certain coordination
capabilities.  At the very least they need accurate timing data, either
from GPS or provided by a local digi during a periodic beacon.  You
don't get to transmit without knowing the exact time, and uncoordinated
'in the blind' transmissions could be restricted to a set of designated
slots.  The tricky part is coordinating slot reuse between overlapping
digis that themselves may not have any a priori coordination.

Scott
N1VG