[aprssig] Digital two-way Radio communication in emergency situations

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Fri Sep 5 23:42:28 EDT 2014

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014, andrewemt wrote:

> team, but runs into trouble as soon as an uncoordinated outsider comes on frequency. The marine
> AIS system has a solution,  but it's patent-encumbered.

By the way:

The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) canceled all claims
in the original patent on March 30, 2010.

USPTO ex-parte reexamination certificate (7428th), issued on March 30, 2010

(Source: wikipedia, but I think I saw/read the USPTO documents back in
2010, it was news then)

> Also, the fixed equal-size timeslot
> scheme only works with stations sending about the same amount and size of traffic (in your
> case, only trackers transmit, not mixed station types).

AIS supports a few different sizes, the shorter position packets are sent
often, and every now and then the station reserves a larger slot for
sending it's full name and/or other information.

   - Hessu