[aprssig] Digital two-way Radio communication in emergency situations

andrewemt andrewemt at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 5 12:08:32 EDT 2014

Well, nothing says we have to stay at 1200 baud. There have been 9600 baud amateur radio modems around for over a decade. And a parallel protocol (using a different AX.25 PID value) could be used for acknowledged messaging and log transmission (perhaps metering the log transmissions to prevent clogging the channel) while asynchronous un-acked APRS is still used for position and status reporting.

Can we go to a wider (more spectrum - eating) channel to gain baud rate? In the quoted system, there might not be voice repeaters to piggyback off, so we don't have to be constrained by their limitations.

I don't think we want to get as complex as the current cellphone network technologies;  aside from the cost and patent issues, those networks are all about centralized control and 1-hop access to that central control (which presumably wouldn't be available in the SAR environment,  or they'd just use cellphones).

Just my $.02.

Andrew, KA2DDO