[aprssig] Verbose APRS clients

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:10:55 EDT 2014

Greetings, all.

I'm contemplating another enhancement to my YAAC program, and wanted to get some feedback before I started on it (in case there is no interest).

It seems I missed two APRS texting contacts during the Jamboree On The Air last weekend because I was paying attention to the voice radios and not to the (silent) APRS terminal. If it had made some noise, I might have noticed the incoming contact.

So I was wondering what people think of talking APRS clients. As far as I know, Xastir is the only client currently  with speech synthesis integration. Does anyone use that feature? Or is it just a cool feature that never actually gets used? Basically, is it worth implementing speech in YAAC? Or is a mere attention-getting beep sufficient?

I await your opinions.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC
http://www.ka2ddo.org/ka2ddo/YAAC.html