[aprssig] Proper Voice Alert and other APRS Operations

John KB2SCS kb2scs at optonline.net
Sun Oct 12 10:13:15 EDT 2014

Hi All
           I do voice alert differently.
I simply use PL100hz encode I do not use Decode.
Then I leave the APRS A side of my Kenwood d700 or my d710 volume up.
Yes I hear all the packet racket. But I want to hear the packet racket.
After all these years
of doing packet I can tell without looking at my radio how my packets
are doing. If I receive strong
good tone packets then there is a very good chance that my packets are
making it to the digipeaters that
I am hearing these strong good sounding packets from.

Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> I have set up menu 614 “Voice Alert... no matter what I do
>> there is no way to use the APRS RAW channel without first
>> deactivating Voice Alert in menu 614. With Voice alert off I hear the data
>> tones…
> Ever since Kenwood put Voice Alert into the radio at my request, I tell
> everyone to TURN IT OFF.  Do NOT use it for just the problem you encounter.
>
> The work around is even better anyway.  Simply turn the volume UP on your
> APRS A band and do all the "speaker" and APRS operating control via simple
> memory channels.  See the table at the top of  http://aprs.org
>
> In a nutshell, you simply program 5 memory channels, one with, one without
> CTCSS-100 and the others with OFFSETS, etc for all the possible APRS radio
> uses.
>
> This way you control voice alert by one click on the Tune knob or Mic.  And
> NEVER turn that radio volume down.  That is the #1 failure to communicate...
> driving around with one's radio pinging "CQ" on voice alert and not then
> hearing calls.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John KB2SCS
            Web Page:  http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs