[aprssig] Stealth digis

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 11:36:51 EST 2014

The issue was digipeaters that don't beacon to let people know where they are. But that doesn't stop people from using them; if the non-beaconing digpeater still accepts the standard aliases, it will still digipeat a packet it hears using that alias. The ones in my area even do tracing (inserting their callsign-SSID into the digipeat list) so they may be legally identified. The only way a stealth digipeater could avoid digipeating arbitrary packet stations would be to either use only non-standard aliases (that non-participating stations wouldn't know to use) or for the stealth digipeater to use a whitelist/blacklist to restrict for which stations it would digipeat.

So I just find it a bit annoying that those digipeater owners don't want to waste the miniscule amount of bandwidth to send a position report beacon once every 30 minutes to let other users figure out their packet paths that were repeated by the digipeater.

Andrew, KA2DDO