[aprssig] New Icons for APRS software?

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu May 22 04:15:06 EDT 2014

Hi,

Yup, since I was around in Dayton, I thought I had to present something,
so I announced the slightly unfinished new APRS symbol set rendition.

At different times, I found two different graphic artists from my circles
around here, who were initially interested, and willing to do it at a
price that we could agree on. They both agreed to take on the job, but
apparently were more interested in the more artistically challenging and
motivating other commitments, and failed to deliver. In the mean time I
played with Illustrator myself (for an extendend length of time), and came
up with something that I'm mostly happy with.

A few symbols are still missing, and a few are not quite good yet, so
expect a release later this summer.

The set is made in Adobe Illustrator. I have a script to export it with a
single click to transparent PNG at various resolutions (currently it's
doing 24x24 48x48 64x64 128x128 per symbol). Layout similar to the old
set, so it's easy to take into use - just adjust the multipliers.

I'll release both the PNGs and the source .ai file (which happens to be
readable as a PDF, too). Illustrator is a bit expensive, but it's very
good for this kind of work. There's a free 1-month trial download
available if you just want to tune something or do custom bitmap exports.
Inkscape (free) can also open them.

Licensing varies per symbol (and is documented per symbol).

* Those that are my original work: CC-BY-SA (likely)
* Many of those are vector versions of the originals, the original
copyright owner's copyrights probably still hold, whoever that might be
(I suppose, one of Stephen Smith, Roger Barker, Steve Dimse?).
* A bunch are from Wikimedia Commons, I picked ones which have a suitable
license allowing commercial reuse (PD or such)
* A bunch are SVG symbols from openclipart.org (or based on one), which
are in the Public Domain.
* Some vendor logos (X, Windows, Apple, Kenwood...) are (c) of the
vendor. May need to be replaced with something in some use cases.

This should allow use by existing APRS software projects (after maybe
replacing the vendor logos). Even clearly commercial projects.

It's the old symbol set on steroids, none of Bob's new suggestions have
been implemented yet (it's a lot of work, and it needs a little review
first).