[aprssig] Digi Deduplication Behavior

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 17:59:45 EDT 2014

Note that there is no reason why non-APRS packets couldn't be digipeated (they did it in the old days, just not with the flood-fill aliases we use for APRS). Why such packets would be on the same channel as APRS traffic and using APRS flood-fill digipeat aliases is a different story. If such packets were on the APRS channel but not using APRS digipeat aliases like WIDEn-N, they would just die quietly because no APRS-specific digipeater would relay them (wouldn't match the digipeater's alias).

But there is no reason why other broadcast non-connected protocols, such as OpenTRAC, couldn't use APRS-style flood-fill aliases for digipeating. They just should stay off the APRS channels and use separate digipeater instances.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC (which supports other protocols along with APRS)