[aprssig] New Icons for APRS software?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue May 20 12:06:42 EDT 2014

On 5/20/2014 11:43 AM, Gerhard.F5VAG wrote:
> "Would be nice to get more humanoid icons to pick from -- but it looks like
> there's only the one in most every icon set implementation."

> Most clients and servers use icon sets based on the one creates by Stephen in 2005:
> http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/APRS_symbols.htm

There won't be many more ICONs (graphics) due to the limitations of
representing/selecting each of them with a single alpha-numeric-punctuation
ASCII character. Only a handful remain unassigned now.

There will only be an ever-increasing number of single ASCII character
*OVERLAYS* on top of the EXISTING graphics.  In turn the overlays may or may
not render correctly on a given client or web server.

> Once Bob got his recommendation ready, the new set should be made available on
> a central repository. So every user/client can fetch a current symbol. Then we
> would all see the same.

Again, any such repository would have to store multiple file formats and
graphics grid arrangements to accommodate the various clients and webservers
that use the same symbols in different ways.

> I know, that is not easy and probably a dream.

[REPASTE EARLIER POST]

Every application uses the symbol set stored and/or rendered in a different way:

     o    Vector or bitmap

     o   Landscape or portrait rectangular grids with multiple cells,   one or
two linear strips of cells 1 icon high,   several hundred "mini-graphics" in
individual files.

     o   16x16 pixels square or 20x20 pixels square or 32x32 pixels square, etc.

     o   With or without overlay character(s) already embedded as part of the
background bitmap (rather than as a separate ASCII text character drawn on top).

     o   In a variety of file formats (.BMP, .GIF, etc), with or without a
transparency attribute.

As a result, there will never be a single universal ready-to-use symbol set.

Not to mention those apps where the symbol set is inaccessibly embedded into a
compiled .EXE file.     Or embedded in unchangeable firmware like Kenwood radios.