[aprssig] Unicode in APRS messages

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Sun May 11 09:17:33 EDT 2014

YAAC supports UTF8 and Unicode, and I18N (internationalization); if the user types in a message string using characters not in the base 7-bit ASCII character set, YAAC will send it as UTF8, and decode received UTF8 properly (callsigns are restricted to 7-bit ASCII due to the AX.25 specification). Note that this should even work if you are using AGWPE as the TNC for YAAC (since YAAC is what is actually rendering the strings, not the AGWPE server daemon).

Alas, I don't speak any other languages well enough to actually create the alternate localized (L8N) prompt string files for YAAC. :-(

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC ("Yet Another APRS Client")
http://www.ka2ddo.org/ka2ddo/YAAC.html