[aprssig] Another Clueless Balloonist On The Rampage With A TinyTrack...

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 11:15:07 EDT 2014

On 3/16/2014 11:08 AM, David Colburn wrote:
> Can't you filter them out for now?
> Sent from Samsung phone.
>
> "Stephen H. Smith" <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I awoke this morning to hear the WIDE1-1 digipeater in my APRS igate/webserver
>> setup keying up every 10-15 seconds constantly.
>>
>> There are TWO balloons running a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path every 10 seconds at
>> 30,000', about 20 miles west of Detroit.

This is NOT Internet<-->RF traffic, which would be trivial to filter.   It's
RF-to-RF traffic.    I have disabled my digi for the duration, but they're
still hitting 5 other digis within earshot of my RF receiving station, both
directly and on second hops.

All because the balloon operator foolishly put TWO hops in the path, with the
first one being "WIDE1-1" which will be acted upon by absolutely EVERY
digipeater within a 250-300 mile radius.

Most likely because the user just used a TinyTrack as-is out of the box without
considering how the default settings should be changed for airborne use.