[aprssig] aprsx bug continues!

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Mar 9 17:47:38 EDT 2014

Today there are a bunch more of big spikes in APRS-IS volume, after a bit of detective work each spike is being caused by a single station.

mysql> select count(*) from raw where `call` = "YB6HJE-3" and time_rx > 20140309000000;
+----------+
| count(*) |
|   174914 |
1 row in set (0.13 sec)

In less than a day this station put out 174,914 packets, an average of more than 2 every second! Of course it isn't sending them averaged, it is sending them in big spikes that nearly equal the volume of the APRS IS

http://snowbird.findu.com/cgi-bin/aprsis.cgi?last=33.33&xsize=500&ysize=300

Matti tells me this is from a feature in his program that sends out data that was missed while his program was sleeping, though today's spikes make me question that - they seem too close together to have generated that much data. He places the blame on the user because aprsx was never meant to be used on a laptop that sleeps. He is not concerned because the volume is not great enough to crash aprsc, and states it is my problem if the data is taking up space on findU.

I've tried multiple times to contact YB6HJE through the QRZ email. If anyone has a means to contact him please try. And don't use aprsx on any computer that has a sleep mode!

Steve K4HG