[aprssig] Are Positionless Weather Report packets supported by APRS-IS and/or aprs.fi?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:22:23 EST 2014

Greetings, all.

Per info explained to me in a previous exchange on this mailing list, it appears that only APRS stations with a weather station symbol code "_" can include weather information in their position reports and expect to have other stations successfully decode it as weather data. Since my software (YAAC) allows a station to be a digipeater, an I-gate, AND be connected to weather sensors at the same time, it would be nice to be able to send that weather data. So I updated the software so that, if the user has weather data to send and wants to send it, but isn't beaconing a weather station symbol, a Positionless Weather Report message (APRS 1.0.1 spec, chapter 12) will be sent after the position report to carry the weather data.

However, I'm not seeing the positionless weather report messages from my station on aprs.fi. Are they being filtered out by the APRS-IS servers, or by aprs.fi itself? Or is there some obscure transmission bug I still need to fix?

Any advice would be welcome.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC