[aprssig] [APRS] APRS CQ FD

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 10:30:06 EDT 2014

On 6/28/2014 1:44 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Yes APRS contacts (DIRECT only, no digipeaters) count 2 points for a
> digitial contact.
>
> Bob

Was W3ADO a victim of dumb receive-only igates at field day?

I was able to successfully send to CQSRVR and get an ack back almost instantly
(i.e. I had a solid RF<-->Internet link from my field day location in southeast
Michigan).

I had a successful two-way with K6ARC (my former club in California) after they
appeared on CQSRVR (i.e. full two-way RF<-->Internet two-way igates at both ends).

However, I sent several messages to W3ADO after his announce on CQSRVR, but
never got an ACK or response back.      It appeared to be that W3ADO was being
passed to the APRS-IS by one-way (receive-only) igates with no way to get back
to him.

I found this message a bit puzzling, as through W3ADO realized there was an
Internet link problem:

     "CQ FD - send me MSG direct!"

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths