[aprssig] APRS-IS vs. FireNet

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Wed Jun 25 09:05:05 EDT 2014

No, it is not a recent change.  The statement you quoted is exactly correct.  You assumed that IGates are supported because there is full APRS data transfer between APRS-IS and FireNet (which is true) but that statement does not say that filtered feeds maintain a recently heard list which is necessary for IGates.  That quoted sentence lets people know if they connect a client to FireNet, they -can- see any packets seen on APRS-IS plus those injected directly into FireNet and their packets will be sent to APRS-IS in addition to the FireNet servers.  The key word is "can" and on a filtered port on FireNet, it does not maintain a recently heard list for each client and therefore does not support IGates but does support full messaging with directly connected clients.

FireNet has not supported IGates for many years and, if you look at the status pages, that is understood by most users.  It is good to remind everyone periodically as you are not the only one who has "been out of it for some time" or who is new to APRS-IS and FireNet.

Hope this helps clarify.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net