[aprssig] "Smart" vs. "dumb" trackers

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 13:10:38 EDT 2014

On 6/23/2014 10:04 AM, Fredric Moses wrote:
> We have replaced all our byonics based TT3’s or “dumb” trackers with the argent data OTUSB or T3 devices… plug in play upgrades no wiring changes needed… Was plug in play with our existing fleet and now we have 2 way smart trackers….  Even upgraded the GPS to the Nuvi350 for the T2/T3 devices so they could support messaging.
>
> --
> Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
> fred at moses.bz

This is the tidiest and best solution, short of a full mobile laptop.  Full
messaging and mapping support.  Even better than a D72 or VX8 since it allows
the user terminal to be located separately from the radio assembly which can be
placed for best RF radiation.    I.e a mag-mount "ammo box tracker" containing
the radio, TNC, batteries and whip connected to a remoted 350 with a single
thin cable.

Now if ONLY Garmin would get their act together and fix the firmware bug in
waypoint plotting so that newer (bigger screen??) nuvis could be used instead
of the 350...........