[aprssig] "Smart" vs. "dumb" trackers

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 13:02:42 EDT 2014

On 6/23/2014 12:39 PM, Charles Bland wrote:
> Use have used the Byonics MT-AIOs with great success. But we put just as much
> effort into choice of frequency and the supporting ad hoc network to make sure
> EVERYTHING is working like it should.
>
> I would not EVEN want to think about sending-out higher tier portable or mobile
> radios to do the job of a tracker. In the case of the MT-AIOs, we turn them on,
> mag-mount them to the top of the vehicle with their antenna, and turn them
> loose. They are always configured and ready, not at the whims of how
> portable/mobile owners may change them over time and then forget how to return
> their APRS configuration to usable settings.
>
> Chuck Bland
> NA6BR

This makes a lot of sense, and only reinforces my previous observation that all
devices involved in an organized activity need to be under the control of a
single authority, so they can be configured properly and consistently.

The problems arise when you have a motley collection of "come-as-you-are"
devices from numerous sources attempting to interoperate.