[aprssig] "Smart" vs. "dumb" trackers

Charles Bland root at blandranch.net
Mon Jun 23 12:39:44 EDT 2014

Use have used the Byonics MT-AIOs with great success. But we put just as
much effort into choice of frequency and the supporting ad hoc network to
make sure EVERYTHING is working like it should.

I would not EVEN want to think about sending-out higher tier portable or
mobile radios to do the job of a tracker. In the case of the MT-AIOs, we
turn them on, mag-mount them to the top of the vehicle with their antenna,
and turn them loose. They are always configured and ready, not at the whims
of how portable/mobile owners may change them over time and then forget how
to return their APRS configuration to usable settings.

Chuck Bland
NA6BR