[aprssig] M0XER-4 balloon approaching Greenland?

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 06:21:45 EDT 2014

 Gerhard,
  I do look at aprs.fi, but do not know enough to fully understand the packets.  However, I did wonder why a DL7 would be able to report it and see no stations on Greenland, so I should have questioned that position right off.   I do see that the DL7 packet has the WIDE2-1 path, where the others have none.

Do you understand how Leo's balloon data gets to both the SpaceNear system and the APRS-IS?  This is very confusing.
   Looking at Leo Bodnar, M0XER's website, there is no information on those last two payloads (-3 & -4).
The earlier balloon payloads are all so amall that they could only have the 440 50 baud tracker for the spacenear system and the spacenear map shows no receivers in Canada.
   However, for the valid packets earlier, I could see on aprs.fi that Heikki's software shows that APRS digis had received the packets. Can you explain how this works?

It will be a few more days until we will know if either one is still floating.  I was watching the projected paths on the spacenear system jump all around northern Canada and the Greenland area.

I watched  the two K6RPT trans-Atlantic balloons and captured the tracks and put together a presentation for my club.  The ham who took videos of the launch sent them to mee and I edited them for the clup.  I recall that a ham also added some invalid packets on one of those flights and did not respont to questions.  I'll add Leo's balloons to my presentation.

RE TAPR:
I get none of my tapr aprs sig messages back, not even in my spam folder. .  I sent that last one (and this) to both you and the sig.  You are the second person who said my messages apear in their spam folder.   Very strange.  Perhaps I need to look at my account in the TAPR system.

73, Steve, K9DCI