[aprssig] Here we go again...sigh

David Andrzejewski david at davidandrzejewski.com
Sat Jul 12 20:29:42 EDT 2014

For now, I've added a high-altitude balloon section to the APRS wiki:

http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Paths#High-Altitude_Balloon_Stations

At least it's a start... although I wonder where people are getting
their instructions from. If they're just using an off-the-shelf tracker,
it may have default settings that they're using... and the only
documentation they would likely be reading is the documentation included
with the tracker. I'd bet that most trackers don't come with HAB-related
info ;)

- Dave

On 2014-07-12 16:51, Christopher Snell wrote:

> There's a great document that Jerry Gable KF7MVY put together:
>
> http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/6764416/243730317/name/APRS.pdf [1]
>
> The problem is that it's a PDF and not ranked very highly by Google's search index. It would make a great front-page addition to www.aprs.org [2] or, better yet, a dedicated APRS-on-balloons page that would be more likely to be found by HABers. Besides the PATH tutorial, other useful info might include links to the various commercial and homebrew trackers, balloon-compatible antenna designs, tracking software, lists of potential iGate volunteers for non-144.39 freqs, etc.
>
> I just registered a domain for a HAB-specific APRS page: APRSHAB.ORG [3]. I know that Bob Bruninga has a trademark on APRS but if he will approve, I will set up and host a wiki that we can populate (as a community) with balloon-specific APRS knowledge. Bob, if you don't approve, I'll ditch the domain.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Chris NW5W
>
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Chuck Gooden <Chuck.Gooden at comcast.net> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> You have a good idea and it would be nice if you could write the article for QST. Writing an article may require some research on your part but that would be part of the learning process and would increase your knowledge in the hobby. I would encourage you to take action and make it happen.
>
> Chuck Gooden - N9QBT
> Rockford, IL
>
> On 7/12/2014 12:12 PM, Jim Wagner wrote:
> I'd bet that most of the balloon folks are occasional or rare APRS users. Maybe never before. How are they to know - bet they have no information that even tells them how a digi path works, let alone the knowledge to make a "best judgement".
>
> Is there a central web site (or several) where balloon people go for technical information? That would be a great place to post something about configuring APRS for balloon flights.
>
> How about QST or other general distribution ham venues? A short bit on beacon rates and preferred paths for balloons might actually get where it needs to go.
>
> Jim Wagner, KA7EHK
> Tangent, OR, USA

Links:
------