[aprssig] IC-706 CT-17 cable

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 17:52:52 EST 2014

On 1/25/2014 4:38 PM, Ray Wells wrote:
> Yep!
>
> The Prolific, manufacturer of the "real" chips, keeps producing updated
> software to outsmart the Chinese imitators hardware.
> Windows gets and installs the latest "correct" software, which the Chinese
> hardware won't cooperate with. Bugger!
> Search online for an old version of the "real" software, which will work with
> the Chinese hardware. I did this for my Icom IC-R2 scanner, my Baofeng UV-5R
> handheld and a "green" mains power monitor. Install the old software version
> and instruct Windoze to never update it.
>
> The version of software that works for me is Prolific v3.2.0.0 dated 31-07-2007.
>
> Ray vk2tv

The problem is that the older driver software WON'T WORK with the newer chips
on Win7-64.   You install an older driver to make some older device (like a
USB<-->Serial dongle, or GPS) work on Win7-64.  Then you discover that either:

A)   The ever-helpful Windows Update installs the latest Microsoft-blessed and
sanctioned version that makes your older device stop working

     -or--

B)   You get some newer device or cable that won't work with the older driver.
  You update the driver (or let Windows Update do it) to make the new device
work.  Now the older device stops working.